Sunday, September 25, 2005

November
(4 stars out of five)
--I still don't quite understand what was going on in this movie, but that's a feeling that I really don't mind having, and in the case of this movie, it's a completely satisfying one. It only lasts 73 minutes, but it feels longer, because it moves in a steady, unhurried pace. It feels just long enough, and it's a rare case in which I feel that an extremely short running time was justified.
The movie is confusing as hell, but it's also bold in how confusing it actually allows itself to be. The audience is literally lost as to what's going on until the last few minutes, and even then it's unclear as to what is actually going on - in a literal sense, at least. Philosophically, we are given many clues, and we are actually left with several different possibilities for us to consider at the end. I'm being purposely vague here; if I described anything beyond the basic opening plot, it would give away everything. To tell you the truth, I don't really know if I even could explain it to you... Needless to say, it's deftly executed, well acted, and is sure to leave you with a hell of a brain teaser long after you've seen it.

No comments: