Thursday, December 27, 2007

Juno

This movie isn't quite the revelation that everyone's saying it is, but it's a very solid film. Ellen Page is wonderful - truly a breakout star. The supporting cast is pitch-perfect and everyone is well-cast in their roles. The screenplay is lightly comic without going overboard, and the dramatic moments work because they're earned. The biggest surprise for me was the direction of Jason Reitman (son of director Ivan Reitman) - it is quite simply the reason the film works. He conveys a sense of longing and quirky melancholy that might have been lost amongst the humor. This is his second feature, his first being 2006's Thank You for Smoking, a film I was less-than-impressed with. It was unfocused, with little-to-no narrative drive and a group of characters that weren't interesting enough to want to spend time with. Reitman wrote that screenplay. He didn't write this one. The screenwriter this time is Diablo Cody, and although her script relies a little too much on hip wordplay and self-consciously clever dialogue, this aspect of the film is diminished after the first half hour, and we settle into this nice little world she has created. The script's greatest accomplishment is it's structure: not a scene is wasted, and every sequence is there for a reason.
There's really nothing more to say... go see this film. If you're like me, the first half hour or so will be a little grating (it's like a screenwriter screaming in your face "Look at me! I'm here!"), but it's quickly over with and you'll discover a charming little story with a little something for everyone. (And I have to say, I LOVE the last shot of the film... I know, I know, it might not seem like much to some people, but it's simple, graceful, and - my favorite part - it goes on forever...)

No comments: