Saturday, March 03, 2007

I found an old box the other day, and in it I discovered, on several videotapes, the entire series of American High. It was on TV in 2000 on Fox, canceled after 4 episodes, and then re-aired on PBS in its entirety later that year (which is how I was able to record the entire series). It was quite an interesting experience to watch it again, since I first saw it during my freshman year: It borders on the melodramatic at times, but, after all, that's quite a melodramatic point in your life. Overall, it's a great examination of high school life. While it bills itself as following 14 kids (for a year), it really concentrates on about 6 or 7 in detail (even that's a large task, for only thirteen 30-minute episodes). A large amount of then-current music was used in the show, so it's doubtful it will ever be released on DVD. Watch a 3.5 minute trailer here.

No comments: