Monday, May 07, 2007

Tonight I checked out (i.e., downloaded) the new Elliott Smith album, "New Moon", which is due out in stores tomorrow. It is a collection of rarities and unreleased material he recorded before his death.
A couple of gripes about this release: First of all, the album is being released on 2 CDs, but all of the material quite easily fits on one CD, with time to spare. The only reason I can see for this is to make some extra money by selling a 2-CD release, therefore upping the price tag, as most double-disc albums cost more. I know most of the money from this album is going to charity, but it still seems a little low to me. Second, there is still quite a bit of unreleased Smith material that is not on this album. I have most of it from bootlegs, but it still would be nice to have it in decent quality. Anyways, it's nice to now be able to hear "High Times" and "New Monkey" without it being all garbled and shit.

No comments: